Mike Pence

Media reports say that Donald Trump will select Indiana Governor Mike Pence as his running mate.  Since Pence is an alumnus of the my law school and I did meet him once, I thought I’d share my views.

Governor Pence is a serious man who takes his faith seriously.  He is very good at speaking clearly on issues where he has strong beliefs. He has not shown a penchant for the nuts-and bolts of administration since becoming Governor, but as Vice President that may not matter.

A more serious objection is that when the state passed a Religious Freedom Restoration Act that was deemed hostile to gays and lesbians, the Governor was totally out of his depth when questioned on the matter.  It was not something he had thought about in depth and so he floundered.  To my mind, this could become a liability in the campaign if you like Trump.  Trump is bound to say more controversial things between now and November, and I suspect Pence will not be good at thinking on his feet to defend those sorts of comments.

1. Brett Bellmore says:

I would think that, if Pense is selected, his main function would be reassuring conservatives that Trump really is one of them. He does this mostly by being himself.

I see no sign that Trump was looking for someone else to defend what he has to say. He can do that best himself. But he’s going to need paid time to do it, the media won’t let him do it for free anymore. Or at all, if they have any say in the matter.

2. Shag from Brookline says:

Trump has the Revengelicals in his pocket.

3. Joe says:

More soft anti-Trumpers among Republicans (most of them) will now find themselves able to vote for the ticket.

Sorry to those pining for the Trump/Cruz ticket.

4. dht says:

Trump has said publicly that he is looking for an attack dog as his vice-presidential pick. I don’t know if Pence can fill such a role, but if one is always on the attack, there is probably no need to have a deep understanding of the issues.

5. Shag from Brookline says:

Gerard, as a “homeboy,” seems quite “Penceive” providing little info on Pence. Here’s a link

“Mike Pence: Sarah Palin Without The Charisma.” Maybe Gerard didn’t have time to do more research on Pence beuond being an alum of Gerard’s law school. Do we blame or credit Gerard’s law school for Pence’s political career to date?

6. Shag from Brookline says:

Trump eulogy: (IN FOR A PENCE, IN FOR A POUNDING.”