John Quincy Adams

John_Quincy_AdamsI want to give a big thumbs-up to the new biography of John Quincy Adams by John Traub entitled “John Quincy Adams: A Militant Spirit.” Part of the book is a superb diplomatic history of the United States, as Adams was our Ambassador in Holland, Prussia, Russia (during Napoleon’s invasion), and Britain, along with serving for eight years as Secretary of State.  The discussion of Adams’ tenure in Congress, where he became the leader of the anti-slavery forces, is also riveting and well worth your time.  I came away with a more positive impression of Adams.

1. Joe says:

read the one on his wife? sounds good

With the Andrew Jackson money news, heard some pining for him.

2. Shag from Brookline says:

Gerard, many of us in MA have long been proud of John Quincy Adams. Up to his election as President, how many Presidents (other than his dad) were not slaveowners?

Gerard, off topic, your latest post at Balkinization which was recently archived, somehow had over 200 comments removed, leaving mostly spam. There’s been no explanation. Do you have a clue?

3. Joe says:

If you are talking about the Kasich natural born citizen post, doesn’t seem that way for me — there are the first 200, then I press “post” to get to the next set. Perhaps, it is set up differently for other browsers.

• Shag from Brookline says:

Yes, it’s the Kasich post. Several years ago I learned how to access comments at Balkinization after a thread reached 200. I had posted a number of comments on the Kasich thread as it approached 300. I generally use Safari. I notice the problem when the number of comments was noted at 31. I added a test comment that did not “correct” the situation and deleted. Then more spam was posted and I followed up two comments, 38 being noted. I just checked again and it’s still at 38. Clicking on post a comment did not increase this. So I copied and pasted the “home” URL to Firefox, with the same result. What browser do you use?

4. Joe says:

Firefox or Chrome.

• Shag from Brookline says:

Joe, I erred. I had thought the Kasich post had settled into the Archives and to expedite getting there, I would scroll all the way down to “Older” posts But the Kasich post is “active” and I note it is up to 309. I had mistaken an earlier post by Gerard for the Kasich post. So Safari works for me. Sorry for the inconvenience.