Today the Supreme Court issued its orders list in which it denied review in Apel v. United States (#14-874).
Following United States v. Apel (2014), the issue in the latest Apel case was “whether in light of Flower v. United States it violates the First Amendment for a person who was previously barred from a military installation to be convicted under 18 U.S.C. § 1382 for peacefully protesting on a fully open public street, which has been designated as a public protest area, on federal property outside the closed military installation.” (See FAN 48, “Chemerinsky Petitions Court Again — Relies on Flower“).
Opinions in argued cases are expected to be released this Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. E.T.
THE COURT’S 2014-15 FREE EXPRESSION DOCKET
[last updated: 4-27-15]
Review Granted & Cases Argued
- Elonis v. United States (argued on 12-1-14)
- Williams-Yulee v. The Florida Bar (argued 1-20-15)
- Reed v. Town of Gilbert (argued on 1-12-15)
- Walker v. Texas Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans (license plate case) (argued 3-23-15)
- Berger v. American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina (license plate case)
- Thayer v. City of Worcester
- Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association, et al.
- Central Radio Co., Inc. v. City of Norfolk
- O’Keefe v. Chisholm
- Apel v. United States
- Dariano v. Morgan Hill Unified School District
- The Bronx Household of Faith v. Board of Education of the City of New York
- Arneson v. 281 Care Committee
- Kagan v. City of New Orleans
- ProtectMarriage.com-Yes on 8 v. Bowen
- Clayton v. Niska
- Pregnancy Care Center of New York v. City of New York
- City of Indianapolis, Indiana v. Annex Books, Inc.
- Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. v. United States
- Mehanna v. United States
- Stop This Insanity Inc Employee Leadership Fund et al v. Federal Election Commission
- Vermont Right to Life Committee, et al v. Sorrell