Farewell, For Now

On January 16, 2006, I became a guest blogger here at Concurring Opinions. The temporary gig was a great deal of fun but when I was invited to join permanently, I wondered whether I would be able to generate content on a regular basis. The answer, it turned out, was yes and no. I’ve been a binge/purge blogger ever since, cycling between periods of prolific writing and radio silence. I’m sure I could find many explanations for this style, but one of them is the nature of my work life. Helping to start a new law school turns out to be quite time (and mind) consuming.

The good news is that Drexel University College of Law is entering its second year in great shape. We have a fabulous group of new faculty and a remarkably strong entering class. On the other hand, as our Dean Roger Dennis likes to say, we’re building the plane while we fly it. Much remains to be done – and everyone on the faculty is a part of that construction project. All of which is to say: it’s time for me to leave blogging, for now at least.

Concurring Opinions has been an entree to a wonderful community of writers and readers. My co-bloggers are a great bunch of lawprawfs. I’ve particularly appreciated the regular readers – including those critics who think that I’m part of a vast left-wing conspiracy. And I am going to miss wading into debates that are well over my head.

What’s next? Plenty of mundane stuff, I suspect. I’ll be busy with hiring again this year; Drexel will be actively recruiting the next wave of faculty. And then there’s scholarship and teaching. At the same time, I hope to begin imagining fresh ways of cultivating virtual conversation and community. So to make this ending point also a starting point, I’d love to hear what others see as the New New Thing.

Cheers!

1. Gordon Smith says:

Good luck, Dan. I have enjoyed your binges.

2. Matt Bodie says:

Sorry to hear you are leaving, but I hope it will lead to a new venture. Perhaps you could explore bringing some aspects of the creation of a new law school onto the web. The discussions and debates you all are having would be instructive to everyone — even schools that have been around for a century. Also, it would be interesting to see efforts at deepening the online experience for law students. As a new school, Drexel would be ideally situated to explore that.

3. Dan — Best of luck on your new endeavors. Drexel is doing all the right things and is definitely shaping into a fantastic law school. You’ve been a terrific blogger and friend. We’ll miss you here.

4. Al says:

Dan, I (and the rest of the crew here) have missed you a lot since you left Alabama; and now I’m going to miss you even more, since I won’t be able to read you on co-op. Sorry you won’t be blogging, but I certainly understand. The internet won’t be the same (or as entertaining) without you.

The Next New Thing? Hard to know. Maybe a return to writing on doctrine. I’ve been waiting for that to make a come-back for a long time now. Also, we need some way to synthesize what’s we’re learning.

5. Belle Lettre says:

You will certainly be missed in the blogosphere. But new adventures are always good.

There are so many new-fangled “open universities” and “new schools” (which eventually become old) popping up nowadays, and the enterprise of academia is moving in dynamic directions. Be proud of the new school you’re helping to build; be proud of the virtual community and online teaching you’ve done in the blogosphere (I certainly count you as a friend and have learned from you), and just be proud of yourself!

6. Mike O'Shea says:

Happy trails, Dan.

7. Mike O'Shea says:

Happy trails, Dan.

8. Miriam Cherry says:

I’ll miss reading your posts… Good luck with all the things I know you are going to succeed at this year!!

9. Scott Moss says:

Thanks for the blogging!

10. Brian says:

Bummer! You got me into reading legal blogs! I look forward to the new new thing, face2face.

Cheers from London (where the “@” sign ain’t where it’s @ U.S. keyboards),

Brian

11. Very nice post, I haven’t seen such a great contents before. The description of topic and the beauty of writing skills are amazing, awesome. Keep up the great work. Thank you so much.
    buy custom essays